The Part-time Head Chef prepares and serves meals to residents and guests, including food preparation, serving, cleaning, and supervising volunteer groups who come in to prepare meals. The Part-time Head Chef is responsible for managing the kitchen during their shift and works with the Kitchen Manager and volunteer groups to provide consistent, high-quality nutritious food at scheduled meal times.
This Part-Time position is 25 hours per week and includes shifts on Monday and Tuesday from 9:30 am - 7:30 pm and Saturday and Sunday from 9:30am - 7:30pm
- Managing all functions of the kitchen during their shift
- Prepare and serve meals for 200+ residents and guests per meal
- Model proper safety, cleanliness, and professional standards for all kitchen volunteers
- Provide training for volunteer groups in safe operation of all kitchen equipment and utensils
- Assist Kitchen Manager with oversight of participants in job training programs
- Coordinate volunteer programs, activities, and community work groups with Volunteer Coordinator
- Create and maintain a positive working relationship and good communications with all ACCHH/GRACE Marketplace and partner staff
- Coordinate donations and donation pick-ups as needed
- Supervise volunteer meal groups to ensure proper food handling procedures are being followed
- Work with Kitchen Manager to manage inventory rotation and product storage standards
- Maintain kitchen and dining area by ensuring cleanliness and safety, and monitoring equipment conditions
- Ensure that all food and products are consistently prepared and served according to portioning, cooking and serving standards
- Fill in where needed to ensure guest service standards and efficient operations
- Responsible for maintaining appropriate cleaning schedules for kitchen floors, mats, walls, hoods, other equipment and food storage areas
- Attend all scheduled employee meetings and brings suggestions for improvement
Work will be conducted in a kitchen environment. May encounter temperatures ranging from 32 degrees F to 450 degrees F around equipment. May occasionally walk on slippery or uneven surfaces. May occasionally climb ladders during a shift.
- Minimum 3 years culinary experience
- Experience with crisis intervention, conflict resolution, and conflict de-escalation, or begin training within 30 days of employment
- Willingness to receive ongoing training in motivational interviewing, low-barrier shelter, housing-focused shelter, progressive engagement, trauma-informed care, and other best practices
- Working knowledge of the Housing First philosophy, and ability to articulate associated programs and best practices to staff, volunteers, and Board members
- Skills to collaborate with and motivate fellow employees and guests
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Outgoing personality and ability to create a positive experience for all volunteers and guests
Physical demands: ability to continuously stand, walk, and lift up to 50 pounds.
Culture and Benefits
GRACE is an exciting, fast-paced organization filled with some of the best people you could ever hope to meet. All of our programs - day services, permanent housing, emergency shelter, volunteers, and more - are organized around three core values: Safety, Impact, and Respect. We’re on a mission to end homelessness, and we’re always looking for new and innovative ways to improve what we do. GRACE offers opportunities to make your work schedule fit your life.
Salary & Benefits
$15/hour plus $4/hour hazard pay until March 2022.
Part-Time, 25 hours per week
Eligible for health, dental, and life insurance
Instructions for applying
Qualified and interested applicants should email their resume and cover letter to Lavern Battles, Kitchen Manager at [email protected]. This position will remain open until filled.