Safety Ambassadors are responsible for creating a welcoming environment where all guests, visitors, and staff feel safe. GRACE is committed to having an inclusive, accepting space where guests can work effectively with staff to focus on positively exiting homelessness.
The three most important responsibilities Safety Ambassadors have are:
- Create and maintain a safe, welcoming campus environment by providing a calm, visible presence on the campus, clearly communicating campus expectations, and supporting guests to meet those expectations.
- Consistently building rapport with guests by engaging them positively, learning their names and communications style, in order to prevent escalations in high-conflict moments and other times of crisis.
- Consistently enforce service restrictions and trespasses to maintain a safe campus environment through clear communication, leveraging of existing relationships, and collaborating with outside agencies (EMS, law enforcement) when necessary.
- Knowledge of affordable housing and social service resources in Alachua and surrounding counties
- Experience with crisis intervention, conflict resolution, and conflict de-escalation, or begin training within 30 days of employment
- Willingness to receive ongoing training in motivational interviewing, low-barrier shelter, housing-focused shelter, progressive engagement, trauma-informed care, and other best practices
- High school diploma and experience in human services or customer service fields
- Working knowledge of the Housing First philosophy, and ability to articulate associated programs and best practices to staff, volunteers, and Board members
- Skills to collaborate with and motivate fellow employees and guests
- Strong written and oral communication skills
Light physical demands (lots of listening, some talking, and more listening. Working on the computer and phone. Driving to appointments and events. Lifting light equipment/materials, and occasionally working long days, nights, or weekends).
Culture and Benefits
GRACE is an exciting, fast-paced organization filled with some of the best people you could ever hope to meet. All of our programs - day services, permanent housing, emergency shelter, volunteers, and more - are organized around three core values: Safety, Impact, and Respect. We’re on a mission to end homelessness, and we’re always looking for new and innovative ways to improve what we do. GRACE offers opportunities to make your work schedule fit your life.
Salary & Benefits
$15/hour plus $4/hour hazard pay until March 2022
Full Time, Overtime Eligible
Eligible for health, dental, and life insurance
Instructions for applying
Qualified and interested applicants should email their resume to Jeff Gruver, Director of Shelter Services at [email protected]. A cover letter is not required, but is recommended. This position will remain open until filled.